Friday, January 20, 2012

this week in my world

Its been a strange week. Monday started out with a shock of cold and since we had only been back from the islands both near and far for a week we just couldn't believe that -27 degrees really could be that cold until we stepped outside.
I toyed with the idea of throwing a glass of water into the air to entertain you dear reader but then I thought that it would be stupid to get dressed up to go out side and fog up the camera for a cheap trick. That is really what we do up here for laughs in the winter. For some reason we lose all memory of how cold winter is and how to drive in it until it slaps us in the face a year later.
We think it is a really hoot to dress up in parkas and touques and throw water into the air and watch it turn to fog as it hits the air. More sane people in other parts of the world where the weather is warmer, splash each other with water in the pool or at the beach and toss their sun bleached hair and clink the ice cubes in their mai tais.
I hit the bricks running this week, my job is to take pictures of and do appraisals of properties and send them off into cyberspace from whence they came and from whence they return to me as listings and then "him indoors" work begins. So not only did I have to find coordinating winter clothes to do the job but I have to give my brain a jumpstart on winter driving.
I spend a lot of time coordinating my wardrobe and footwear and doing my hair and my make-up just in case the EMS people have to pry me from a wreck in the ditch. Our highways are always a skating rink in winter and no end of wingeing by the populace has improved the management of snow removal. So the Deerfoot is always in a state of closure or down to one lane. And of course I couldn't be caught out without my make up and in workout clothes.
By Tuesday I was sick of winter and having had a full 24 hours of it I thought it was time for a yoga class. I love my yoga classes because they are the ony place that I can really slow down and be present. I give lip service to meditating on a regular basis but the reality is I am like a squirrel in a cage most of the time and have to be sedated in order to slow down. I imherited this condition from my mother. We once made a Christmas dinner for 17 people which took 8 hours to prepare and my mother jumped up and whisked everyone's plate and away and had the dishwasher running within 17 minutes of sitting down. 
Anyway Wednesday came around and I fell into complete inertia and it took me all day to do one hour's work. So I snoozed.
Around 3 in the morning HIDs tapped me on the shoulder and said, do I have spots? I said no and went back to sleep. I hadn't actully looked but my brain was busy with a dream and I incorporated that question in a the dream.
At 5:30 he tapped me again and said can you look? OMG I said you are covered in spots, and lumps and you are hot. Go take an antihistamine. And I rolled over. 5:30 is damned early. We happen to have both Benelyn and Benedryl in the cupboard, He took the cold med not the antihistamine.  At 8:00 am we were up and he staggered to the kitchen where I got a good look at him in the light,.
Gasp. I said to him you have to go to the doc's right away. What have you been doing? What could you be allergic to? It took about an hour for my brain to process it and remember that he had been on an antibiotic for an ear and chest infection that he brought back from Hawaii. Poor bastard, he was just miserable. His face was developing lumps and I was afraid he would go into anaphylatic shock and his throat would close.
 Long/short, he got into a walk-in clinic and is now on a powerful antihistamine and is dosing. Poor guy can hardly keep his eyes open. Spots and lumps are diminishing. But never again can he take that kind of antibiotic.
I cruised Facebook. I have only been on that a few times. I hate social media. But, I noticed Ashley's Etsy page. You must check it out... Pottery Ashley Morrow... I hope this works out for her as she is currently unemployed and she will have to sell her stuff for several thousand dollars each in order to support herself.

No comments: