Thursday, February 18, 2010

Olympic Blisters

I am getting Olympic blisters sitting on the couch and watching the exciting events. I have been following Ann's adventures on the yellow road and enjoying her observations. She is truly bi-country, with enthusiasm for all.
She encouraged Heidi and Dan to trek up to Vancouver and they will be reporting back on Friday. Stephen Colbert of course was a draw as he taped his show in Vancouver, surrounded by ice-holes. I love that. I will sign up for that. I will be one for sure. Can't skate any more though.
When I was a kid we used to skate on the home made rinks that our dads flooded in the school yard or in our back yards. Most often we would go out to the sloughs and skate around clumps of grass and frozen cow pies. I thought that was so much fun. We were pretty good at gliding on one foot and jumping because we had to be.
I just knew I was the best figure skater in the world then.
What happened?
I loved following the cracks in the ice and imagining that they were hundreds of feet deep and who knows maybe they were. We would come home when our feet froze. That was the one thing that took the glow off of any winter event when I was a child. Frozen feet. But no longer, now that I have Defeet woolie boolies. Love those socks. Thank you Heidi.
We are going to feed the chickadees today in Fish Creek park, Ginger loves those walks, we take lots of breaks for her old bones to rest and let her spend lots of time sniffing up and down the tree trunks for news of squirrels.
We have perfect weather today, sunshine, snow that is still white and freshly fallen, clear blue skies and a couple of hours to take for a 'lunch break'.

No comments: