Sunday, June 6, 2010

Days of Delirium and Dementia and Reunions

Mum is in RCH with a diagnosis of delirium. She fell many times prior to the ambulance delivering her to the emergency ward. I think she not only had a bladder infection but that she was also dehydrated and that brought on the delirium. Her dementia clouded the diagnosis until she was admitted to emergency. She is sedated now and will be for a while. She is also on an IV and is being attended by a caring staff. Nothing can be done for now and she is so severely tired that her deep sleep can only help her heal.
She will be on diminishing doses of anti-psychotics for a couple of weeks.
This leaves Dad alone in the apartment. He is scared to be alone, he also has been tipping over and falls nearly 3 to 4 times a day. One of us must be with him at all times. Barry slept there for a couple of nights and last night after Dad's carer changed him into his pyjamas Barry thought that he would be okay for night. Dad said to go, he was fine, he didn't need anything but to watch a little TV and then to bed.
This morning Barry went over and there was Dad on the floor, half undressed and confused. he had no idea how long he had been there or when he fell. He had his Alarm bracelet on but he wasn't pushing it hard enough to sound the alarm.
It may have been hours that he lay there alone.
Heather is on her way out there right now. I hope. She will be sleeping in the apartment and this will give us a good observation and if Dad needs to enter the system through the emergency ward door then so be it.
I will go next week and give Barry another break while he goes on a golf trip with his Palm Springs buddy.
We have to get this falling problem solved and I hope that the system can find them both a new care home so that they can be together and this never has to happen again.
Unfortunately we cannot do anything, we are powerless to get them into a specific facility, the only thing that we can do is get them into the system.

On to another subject, Bryan and I are going to Vancouver for a reunion of all the old Black Spot people. The original fans and musicians
It is quite an alumnus of names. The enthusiasm for the event is growing exponentially. What started out as a few musicians gathering for an evening has turned out to be a 2 day affair. I am sure the press will be covering it. Some interesting, notable and extremely talented people will be there for a dinner and social one evening and a jam the next day. This will be so much fun to get together with some people that Bryan and I haven't seen for many years and some close friends that we see as regularly as we can.

check out these threads.

http://vancouverjazz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388

http://www.jazzstreetvancouver.ca/venues/7



The Black Spot morphed into the Java Jazz..the Flat Five and then the Blue Note I think. All over a period of just 4-5 years. I will no doubt be corrected on that because I wasn't there for that time and all my info is absorbed through conversations with Bryan and his friends. I have only been in the picture for 43 years:o))
We will be there in early August for this event. We will be staying in an hotel downtown, if you, gentle reader will be there at the same time please e-mail me and we will get together.
This will be the first time in my life that I will be going to Vancouver without stopping to help M&D. Wow, I wonder if I can do that. I am guessing not.

No comments: